Saturday, May 1, 2010

My favorite swing drill EVER

To me, this about the single best swing drill I've ever utilized. I recognize full well that a relative beginner shouldn't be championing the merits of one drill over another necessarily, but I've said from the get go that this blog was very specifically intended to capture the thoughts, learning processes and steps of a struggling golfer, since there was very little of that out there when i went looking initially.

It's often said that you don't hit the ball with the backswing, but it doesn't take long in the game of golf to learn that you don't have a prayer of hitting the ball well without starting from the right position, and you can only get there via the backswing. Anytime I'm struggling, this drill almost immediately sets me back on the right path. I consider it so effective that I've often considered taking it to the course at times.

At this point, I'll shut up and let Faldo himself do the talking....

2 comments:

  1. Interesting drill. I hate how easy he makes it look, but I can see how this would really get your hands on the right track in mid round if you either got tired and let things slip or if you were just playing poorly. I may give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll use it frequently at the range hitting two or three shots that way than going immediately into two or three "standard" shots with the same club. More than anything else, it helps me initiate the downswing from a point that allows me to concentrate on smacking the back of the ball with the back of my left hand nice and flush. With that swing cue working, the rest falls into place quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete